Friday, September 20, 2013

Meeting Friends



In September 2012 I had the pleasure of starting to work as a Campus Pastor for a small community college in downtown Grand Rapids. I was invited by Rev Harry Lew of Campus Directions to see how his ministry works and how I might find my own niche in campus ministry as a pastor and as a campus pastor to students with disabilities.

There was some reluctance at first because a ministry to students with disabilities was a rather new approach to doing ministry. The first order of business in any proposed ministry is to establish need for that ministry.  Second, was my desire to learn how to be the best campus pastor I needed to be. Along those lines Harry graciously asked me to observe and work alongside him, and Nancy Janisch of True North campus ministries of the PCUSA, 

The need for a ministry to students with disabilities became apparent almost immediately when I was introduced to some of the members of the group. Along with that introduction the campus ministry I was called to do was also introduced.  When that happened some students began to come forward with their stories of living with their disabilities. I also have met students who are studying for careers in which they will work with those with disabilities. There quickly developed a momentum in the work I came to do. I became very certain of Gods calling for me.

Something we began to do early on was set up information tables to recruit new members and to reach out to the college students, staff, and faculty in a public way to engage in conversations about the faith. Along with this came the usual bible studies, service projects, and social events that the group there did as part of its regular activities. From all of this I have met several students that have helped shape my approach and growth as a camps pastor. 

I have met students studying to be ASL interpreters, I have met a hearing impaired student who is studying music, and I have met students with physical disabilities. I have met people with varying degrees of ADHD, ADD, Asperger’s Syndrome, and others with conditions along the autism spectrum. I have met students with speech impediments, learning disabilities of all kinds as well as those with different kinds of mental illnesses and the list goes on.

The meeting that stood out most to me was when I was introduced to a young woman who happens to be visually impaired. In early October, we had an information table set up near the student cafe. We had a brisk flow of people engaging in great conversations. One of the other students had brought this person to speak with me. We began talking. It was clear from the beginning that she found the idea of having a campus ministry to students with disabilities very important.

She asked me why I was there repeatedly as if she wanted to make no mistake. I began by explaining that as a person with disabilities myself, I felt I could understand pastorally the unique needs and challenges those students with disabilities, who have faith, face spiritually. Again she asked why I was there. I responded that I was there for students with disabilities .We continued to talk and I explained that one of other goals was to also minister to those without disabilities. She asked me why I was there again and I said I was there for them as well. 

Pursuing that line of thought further, I explained that I was hoping for persons with disabilities to share their stories with those without disabilities and for those without to express themselves concerning disabilities. The hope was to encourage community.
She asked me again why I was there.
I said that I was here for us. She responded "you here for us?" 
I said I here for all of us.
It was a rather emotional moment for both of us.

Later the young student explained to me that she was taken by the fact that I never once mentioned her visual impairment. That her blindness had not become a topic of conversation with someone she just met.
She explained it doesn't always happen but happens enough to be at best annoying, at worst embarrassing. Here we had a whole conversation about a ministry to those with disabilities and it didn't come up once. She was happy that she was seen as a person who just happened to blind.
This something all persons, disabled or not, ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment